You ask why am I writing something about dating? I am not in the dating scene except for "date night" with the hubby. However, the teenage spark is heavily into the dating thing. Some advice for the teenage boy toys, and general Dad dating drama.
1st. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT ask a girl on a date via email or text. Hello, can you even SAY hello? I'm sorry but I am against the mania of not being able to have a spoken conversation on the phone. If you can't have a conversation on the phone what are you going to have to say for a whole date.
2nd. When you do ask said girl on a date. Tell her you will pick her up and give her all other pertinent info. My daughter recently got asked out (yes, via email) by someone going on his first date. He turned 16 July 27th. (She decided he needs dating 101, we are cutting him beginner slack.) Anyway, I sidetrack. He said they would wait for her to get home from camp at 11:30 friday afternoon, before beginning an all day marathon date. After much leading and questioning he finally gave her all the details, what to wear etc. But still no word about picking her up. Finally, she says to him and the boy he is doubling with, are you going to pick me up? Pause.... Oh ummm, ya I guess we'll pick you up. LOL!! She has decided to take $$, just in case. (I feel bad talking bad about the boy, he is super nice . She met him 2 years ago at EFY. He goes to BHS.) I guess we have been spoiled, all her previous dates have been by boys that are seniors, or recently graduated. (experienced) She has only been 16 for 2 and 1/2 months.
3rd. Can you say Personal Priesthood Interview. This is what her dad says each boy must have when they arrive to pick her up. I kid you not, on her first date, 2 days after she turned 16, the dad was working. So, he and his crew and the firetruck were here at our house waiting to greet the date. (this was a concession to her bringing her date to the firestation, for which I said that is too much) Luckily, the boy was a good sport and said it made the date memorable. Ya, memorable for who. :)
4th. NO PHOTOS by the parent, unless said date is a semi-formal or formal. Again the phsyco dad told me to take pictures of her second date, for which he was working again and couldn't be here to meet. This was a date to Lagoon. COME ON!! I am NOT taking pictures of some poor boy and my daughter prior to a date at Lagoon. According to the DAD I am unreasonable. Pffff who is the unreasonable one. Dad's and daughters a powerful thing. (I did not take pictures)
5th. Finally, my advice to the young at heart. My daughter recently told me, Boys are like Icecream. You have to taste A LOT of flavors before you can choose a favorite. I AGREE!! Go Bailee, taste till you can't taste no more. :) A few of her friends have already become exclusive and they are so missing out on the fun. She has been on many dates in 2 1/2 months and each one has been different and fun. Meanwhile the exclusive girls are sitting at home watching videos or hangin' out with the exclusive boy. BORING!! Get lickin'!! (not literally, keep the tongue in cheek) LOL
The joys of parenting a teenage daughter, oh how fun. I love it. She always comes right home from school, dates, parties etc. and wants to sit down and have an un interrupted chat, to tell all. I am so glad. So barring the bouncy moods teenage girls have, she is a ray of light.
3 comments:
Nikki,
HAHAHA! Get lickin? Yeah, I don't know if I would let too many teenagers read that one. HAHAHA! I can't believe Bailey is dating! Old enough to date, as if! Anyways, I need a post on my blog, can you please tell Brenda to post me something! Muhlesteinfamily.blogspot.com. You can too, I would love it! Mine doesn't have pictures and all that like yours it is a little boring! Take care!
Michelle
Ok, I am a BIG dork! I guess I should look at my own blog before blogging something absurd. Thanks for your post! I loved all your comments on the cancer sucks blog! All your noteables your SUPER!
Love,
Michelle
Ok I agree with your dating comments. But I can add one more. Tell the boys to answer the girls in a timely matter when they asked to a dance. No matter if there answer is yes or no. I have posted your blog on mine too. I hope you don't mind. If you know of anyone else from school that my have a blog let me know I like to see what people are up to.
Post a Comment