Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fantastic Formula

This is the menu of choice now a days,
Formula that is.
Benjamin had a NJ tube placed successfully
on Tuesday.
For those of you not familiar with medical terms
this is a feeding tube placed through the nose
into the small intestine.
They tried to place it on Monday unsuccessfully.
This is how the conversation went with Ben after the
failed procedure.
Ben: (feeling face) Where's the tube?
Mom: They weren't able to get it in.
Ben: They weren't?
Mom: No.
Ben: What are they going to do?
Mom: Try again tomorrow.
Ben: Oh, Okay
Ben: Hi Stephanie, Hi Jennifer, Hi Emily.
(These are the three nurses hanging around)
-Pause-
Ben: So where's the tube?
Mom: They weren't able to get it in.
Ben: They weren't
Mom: No (smile)
Ben: What they ganna do now?
Mom: Try again tomorrow.
Ben: Oh, hi Stephanie, (looking at Jennifer)
Do you like to be called Jen or Jennifer?
(looking at Emily) Your Emily right?
-Pause-
Ben: So they didn't get the tube in...
and so on, and so on. It was quite funny really.
He repeated the same conversation like 4 times.
Wish I recorded it, he would laugh now.
Can I just say how much I love this kid?!!
I can because it's my blog and I can write about whatever I want.
He is the most amazing, positive, loving and over wonderful son ever.
He hardly ever complains.
The nurses, all of them constantly tell us how great he is.
We have nurses, residents and Doctors
dropping by all the time just to say hi
and see how he is.
Honestly, if I had to go through what he has and is
I would be grouchy and full of self pity.
Not him.
Of course he wants it to be over and to be
"A Normal Kid". (his words)
I tell him, "you will".
"Just keep having faith."
He replies: "I DO and I WILL!"

4 comments:

Keli said...

So he has to have formula? Like baby formula? Gross. I would be a total bitch if I couldn't eat solid food at all. Props to Ben for being awesome! Hang in there, buddy!

Jill Johnson said...

Oh man! I feel so bad for him and you. Know you are in my prayers.

Suzy Tranter said...

He is an amazing kid! I don't know any other kid his age who could handle it the way he does! Let us know what we can do to help...!

Tasha said...

I love it when I get to hear funny "after anesthesia" stories. Ben is such an amazing kid, he has been through so much and is still so happy:) I hope he gets to have a "normal" life soon! Take Care!
PS- Where is Palisades?