Monday, October 10, 2011

Halloween Hater



I don't know if I have always been this way...
I seem to remember enjoying Halloween as a kid.
I really liked going to the Haunted Houses as a teen.
But now as an adult....
I am a Halloween Hater.

I really think it's the commercialism of it all.
When I was young finding a costume consisted of looking in old boxes of clothes or what you could find laying around the house.
It was easy and cheap.
Now finding a costume requires huge thought, sometimes sewing
and most often money.
I HATE spending money on costumes.
Urgh!!  I wish I could like it...

We also have the pressure of decorating.
I used to put out some things for the kids.
I need help getting in the Halloween spirit
If there is such a thing.

I don't mind the actual trick or treating...
I always liked taking my kids..
(although at our house when you reach the age of 12..no more trick or treating)
I like seeing the other kids from my neighborhood..
I like parties, if I don't have to wear a costume.
~sigh~
I think I've narrowed down my hate...
It's the costume issue.
How to choose something fun, creative
and most of all cheap.
And on that note..I am off to try to sew part of Brooklyn's costume.
should be fun with my amazing sewing skills

That's the crux of it all...
I guess I'm cheap.

My FAVORITE part of this Halloween celebration...
Pumpkins!!
And the creative things people do with them.
I would love to go somewhere and just look at a lot of Jack O lanterns.
That would be a fun Halloween.

2 comments:

Heather H said...

I'm with you! Although I think its fun to see all of the costumes I hate coming up with them and I hate all of the candy/junkfood!

Carrie said...

Good luck with the costumes! I'm with you - I'm not a haloween person at all. In fact, I've decided I pretty much hate October all together! Give me November and Thanksgiving or December and Christmas. But, I could do without October!!! We'll be sure to Bring Cal trick-or-treating since he's not older than 12 ;) I think that's a good rule :)