The attendance rules in the Jordan District High Schools are somewhat ridiculous. You as a parent are only allowed to excuse your child 10 times a quarter for absences. Too many unexcused absences, your student has to attend attendance school. Which btw costs $5.00. Now I do understand there are teens out there who are skipping school. I also know for a fact there are teens out there attending school SICK to avoid missing class. Bailee used to go to school sicker than a dog. Step throat...at school- Nausea's/Vomiting....at school- Fever....at school -you get where I am going with this. Germs begetting germs. Kids making kids sick.
Now Ben is going to school Sick. For fear of missing too much work. Fear of falling behind. Fear of attendance school. I am always getting notes from Dr.'s to excuse him when I can. But sometimes he is just to sick to go. He checks in for big classes, attends them so sick he can't concentrate. He checks out. There has to be a better way.
As parents aren't we capable of knowing when our child needs to be home. No matter how many days. If the child doesn't make up the work... They don't pass. So why does the school have to control it? Just fail the students who don't do the work. Let the kids who are sick stay home. Let the parent decide. The parent and child will deal with the consequence. I understand the importance of an education. It is the future of our children. But let the parent govern the child.
Not the school.
*as a postscript. RHS has been so helpful in dealing with Benjamin and his many bouts of home and hospital. They are understanding, and work with us. But....why does it have to be so difficult, so many hoops to jump through?
3 comments:
AMEN! I totally agree with you... I guess you could transfer him to Copperhills, they sure don't seem to care if their students attend or not... lol.
I totally agree!!! I don't want a bunch of sick kids at school passing on illnesses to other kids!!! I can see the need when parents are not involved, but seriously - parents should have the final say!!
You get 10 days a quarter? We get like 10 days a year! And, after those 10 days (doesn't matter if you have a note saying the child is under a doctors care for an ongoing condition) they send you to the judge for truancy, which is a misdemeanor. And it goes on their record! Yes, our trip to court was fun! And still my child has to go to after school school for attendance. Nikki, you are singing to the choir here! I have complained and explained I can not afford to take her to the doc every time she is sick, because it is an ongoing thing and they can't do anything. I have nearly exploded from frustration with this.
Post a Comment