Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Home Health

Nurse Nikki I am not!
I really don't want to become one either.
But it looks like I might have to.

The surgeon has declared that Ben will come home this weekend....
regardless.
If his output finally slows enough to pull the tube, he will eat and then come home.
If not, he will come home anyway. Tube, PICC, suction and all.
Still not being able to have any food or liquid by mouth.
Home health will deliver his TPN (food iv) each day.
I will be in charge of taking care of his PICC etc.
This scares me a little, I'm not ganna lie.

They are very confident his intestines will recover and work fully.
It just might take some time.
They don't want to rush the process, so will send him home to continue
waiting for a few weeks if necessary.

We really don't want to bring him home all hooked up.
It will be soooo hard for him, not eating, when we all are.
As it is we don't eat in front of him or talk about eating, unless he brings it up.
So we are really praying for a major change here in the next two days.

On the up side, we will love having him home again. :)

5 comments:

family said...

I would be scared too, but knowing you, you have nothing to worry about. You always handle things beautifully!

Keli said...

I know of an awesome nurse that might be able to help you out if you have questions. LuVera's daughter in law is so awesome, and so gifted. I'm sure she'll be thrilled that I volunteered her.

At least he'll be home. Yay!

Amy said...

I completely understand about not wanting to be a nurse. I thought about it in highschool then I took specialized class for those interested and I quickly lost interest. I am glad to hear he will be coming home. I hope all goes well and he can have some solids soon! I dito what Heather said!

Kelli said...

I hope all goes well. It reminds me of when we would bring our newborn babies home. I would worry so much and check them all the time. Scary!

Suzy Tranter said...

Oh man Nikki, that is scary. I was worried sick just about bringing Knox home on oxygen with deep suctioning and the pulse ox machine, I can't imagine bringing someone home with a PICC line after they scare you with all that paperwork to even insert the dang thing! You'll do great though, if anyone can do it you can! Keep us updated.